Charlotte Adventure Map
The first in a new series from E.D.I.A. Map Makers, the Charlotte Adventure Map is a handmade labor of love to honor the Queen City — Charlotte, North Carolina. Hand-drawn & painted in watercolor & pen-and-ink, it includes their handpicked favorites of things they consider to be truly adventurous & unique, from revered Charlotte institutions to off-the-beaten path discoveries & insider secrets.
Their goal was to give you new adventures — things you didn’t already know about or may have overlooked. They wanted to lead you outside familiar territory, to bring a fresh perspective to the question of what-to-do, and to do this for everyone, from the Charlotte native to the recently-arrived transplant, to the vacationing visitor.
Each location’s icon is unique & hand-drawn in pen + ink with watercolor details. Listings are organized by neighborhood on the back & give you all the particulars, as well as a descriptive nudge as to why you should visit. In addition to the 140 listings, there are 26 themed itineraries, 12 road trip routes, 30 calendar events, 5 places to snap a pic of the skyline, & a list of ways to get around the city.
As a map about the heart, soul, & history of Charlotte, it was very important to them to keep the work among a group who understood & had a love for the city as much as we do. For the illustrations & watercolor, they worked with Charlotte native, Melissa Hammill. South Carolina transplant, Jessica Coate, did the layout & graphic design components. Amanda Fisher (of EDIA) hand-lettered the text. & Charlotte printer, Boingo Graphics, rolled the maps off their presses.
- the city of Charlotte with 140 unique, hand-illustrated icons
- Becoming Charlotte: a Timeline
- 140 listings detailing each location & what makes it unique, with symbols that indicate activities that are always free, sometimes free, or cash-only
- +99 additional suggestions of where to eat, drink & shop
- 26 Itineraries: themed adventures for all times of day & night
- 12 Daytrips: road trip routes no more than 1.5 hours outside the city, 1/month
- 30 calendar events
- Viewfinder: 5 picture-perfect skyline scapes
- Joyrides: getting around Crown Town
- 4" x 9" folded
- 18" x 24" unfolded
- watercolor & pen-and-ink
- Charlotte-Made: conceptualized, designed & printed in Charlotte, NC